Friday, January 20, 2012

Kenya on Foot

I’m convinced that one of the best ways to experience Kenya is by running. While I wouldn’t ever recommend running through the busy streets where matatus and tuk-tuks run wild, running off the beaten path is a wonderful experience. The “tarmac” (i.e. the paved road) ends at the university entrance, and beyond the university the dirt roads leads to several small rural villages that are quite fun to run through. Since I have been in Kenya, I have run 5-10K every day. Many of these runs have been with Roland who has introduced me to some very scenic (and challenging) routes. Don’t forget that we are a mile high in elevation, so my lungs are just getting used to the air.


We generally like to stay off of the paved roads, but have journeyed a couple of times to the junction where we catch matatus.













Most of our runs are on dirt roads or paths through the many little villages around campus. The people are so nice and always stop, look at us with curiosity, and say “Hello!” The young children are the most curious and always run out to see us and ask “How are you?” Most are just learning English in school (since Swahili is spoken primarily in the homes), and enjoy getting to use it, perhaps for the first time outside of school. It is strange to get such attention while running. In America, the only time anyone stops to talk to me while I am running is if they hit me with their car! I asked Roland if people look at us because we are (a) white, or (b) running, and he said 70% (a) and 30% (b). He’s probably right. It is apparently very rare to see white people in rural villages.

As I mentioned before, one of the treats to running in Kenya is the children. After being dropped off after school, they typically walk in packs of 5-10 for several kilometers to their villages. They always were the same uniform (or costume as they call them). Several times, I have run by one of these packs as they were walking home, and they always join me for the run smiling and laughing the whole way. When they get home, we give high 5’s and I head on my way. What a joy it is to see their smiling faces! It makes my day, and hopefully theirs too. Their ability to run amazes me. I had one group of kids probably around 8-10 years old that ran around 2-3K with me, and not even get winded! I’m not sure this would ever happen in America.

Last week, Roland and I had the treat of running with a Kenyan security guard that works on campus (Bonface). We were to meet him on his day off at the front gate, and when we got there, we didn’t even recognize him since he was in jeans and Safari boots. He said that he only “practices” running once a month at the most, so Roland and I didn’t’ know what to expect. He said most Kenyans don’t have time to run since they are busy working. He works 12hrs a day, 6 days a week. Well, that day we ran around 8K, and I don’t think his heart rate even increased a beat! I know his breathing never increased! Roland and I were huffing and puffing, but Bonface acted like we were on a Sunday stroll through the park. We are hoping that he will join us every week on his day off.


One of my favorite runs is to the east of campus. While it is quite dusty on the road, there are many paths that parallel the road that are used by walkers from the villages.


When I came to Kenya, I brought some new running shoes. Bad move. After a couple of runs, they were as red-brown as the ground (as were all of my socks).


The run provides some great wide open views of the prairies, the mountains, downtown Nairobi, and even passes through a small village.


I also pass by a little river with a forest of acacia trees.


Toward the end of the run, I pass by a beautiful mosque that is a bit like a mirage in the desert. It is very lush and well-manicured in contrast to the little village it borders that is obviously very poor.


One thing I watch out for are animals. Cows and goats regularly walk on the streets (paved and dirt) in Nairobi. I don’t think I have been on a run yet that I did not encounter a herd that is being shepherded somewhere. I’m not sure where they are going, but they are always on the move.










From the people to the animals and scenery, no run in America can compare to those I have experienced in Kenya. While dirty, I have never experienced such joy as running here. I just hope that Roland and I are ready for the Kilimanjaro Marathon that we are planning on doing at the end of February!




Finally, one random picture of my beautiful daughter...

4 comments:

  1. Great updates and pictures. I vote for 2 updates per week instead of just one :)

    David B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Run Forest, Run!
    Kory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture of Maddy...Looks like you are having a great time. Stay safe and I will check up on you often. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Matt. The runs sound awesome.. I can't even imagine (running an 8k or being in Kenya!) Love your posts. Take care!

    ReplyDelete